Charlotte Schmid-Maybach is a visual artist working with photography, thread and assemblage. Originally from San Francisco, she earned her BA from UC Berkeley in South Asian civilization and MA in Photojournalism from the University of Missouri, Columbia. Her background as an archaeological photographer in Pakistan and fifteen years as a newspaper photojournalist have informed her artwork. Charlotte started studying with artist Tom Wudl in 2016 and made the transition to a full time studio practice. She received the Photolucida Critical Mass Top 50 photography award in 2021. Her work has been shown at the Fuller Craft Museum, Neutra Institute Museum, Themes + Projects Gallery, Lois Lambert Gallery, Center for Photographic Art, Colburn School of Music, Brand Gallery and others. Charlotte is based in Los Angeles, and her work is held in private collections in the U.S.
- 2022 ALTERED LANDSCAPES, Themes + Projects Gallery, San Francisco. CA.
- 2021 ART IN THE BARN, solo exhibition curated by Themes + Projects, San Francisco, CA.
- 2020 WATER, WALLS AND TREES, PHOTOGRAPHIC TAPESTRIES, Lois Lambert Gallery, Santa Monica, CA.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- 2023 FRESH 2023, Klompching Gallery, Curated by Darren Ching and Debra Klompching, Brooklyn, NY
- 2023 NATURAL IMPRESSIONS Textile Art and Mixed Media, Virtual Exhibition and Catalog Curated by Rodgrigo Frazao and Museu Textil
- 2023 SAFEKEEPING, Surface Design Members Exhibition Juried by Anita Fields, 108 Gallery, Tulsa, OK.
- 2023 CONTEMPORARY HISTORIES Curated by Danny Sanchez, Art Market San Francisco, CA.
- 2023 PERSONALITIES; CONTEMPORARY PORTRAITURE, PH21 Gallery, Budapest, Hungary
- 2023 MEMBERS JURIED EXHIBITION, Juried by Hamidah Glasgow, Center for Photographic Arts, Carmel, CA. Online
- 2022 FORECAST/RECAST, Juried by Tanya Aguiñiga, Chehalem Cultural Center, Newberg, OR.
- 2022 INTERNATIONAL JURIED EXHIBITION, Juried by Paul Kopeiken, Center for Photographic Art, Carmel, CA.
- 2022 LENSCRATCH: CHARLOTTE SCHMID-MAYBACH, ALTERED LANDSCAPES, by Aline Smithson, Solo Online Exhibition
- 2022 STUDIOELEVEN: CULTIVATION, Colburn School of Music, Los Angeles CA.
- 2022 TREES, Juried by Wendi Schneider, Photoplace Gallery, Middlebury, VT.
- 2022 CENTER FORWARD, Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins. CO, juried by Christy Havranek and Alyssa Ortega Coppelman
- 2022 LIGHT, A. SMITH GALLERY, Online Exhibition at A. Smith Gallery, Juried by Aline Smithson
- 2022 MATERIAL D’ARTS, JURIED NATIONAL FIBER EXHIBITION, d’Art Center, Norfolk, VA.
- 2021 XII INTERNATIONAL BIENNIAL OF TEXTILE MINIATURES, Arka Gallery, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2021 HAND EYE COORDINATION, Curated by Sage Brousseau, Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA.
- 2021 STUDIOELEVEN AT THE COLBURN, Colburn School of Music, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2021 BRAND 49 ANNUAL NATIONAL JURIED EXHIBITION WORKS ON PAPER, Brand Library and Art Center, Glendale, CA.
- 2021 VISIONS OF NATURE, Light Art Space, Silver City, NM.
- 2021 INTERNATIONAL JURIED FIBER ARTS X EXHIBITION, Sebastopol Center for the Arts, Sebastopol, CA.
- 2021 UNBOUND/Open Theme, A Smith Gallery Photographic Arts, Johnson City, TX
- 2021 LENSCRATCH, THE ARTIST INTERVENES, Solo Online Exhibition
- 2021 WOMEN IN 2021, South X Southeast Gallery, Molena, GA.
- 2020 INTERNATIONAL JURIED EXHIBITION, Center for Photographic Art, Carmel, CA.
- 2020 GLOBAL IMPACT OF COVID, Foundry Art Center, St Charles, MO.
- 2018-2019 VARIATIONS, The Colburn School of Music, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2018 STUDIOELEVEN AT WORK, Peter and Susan Barrett Gallery, Santa Monica, CA.
- 2017 STUDIOELEVEN AT THE NEUTRA, Neutra Institute Museum and Gallery, Silverlake, CA.
- 2017 BEVERLY AND HER STUFF, Baker Prindle Gallery, University of Nevada, Reno, NV.
- 2016 PUTTING IT TOGETHER, Foundry Art Center, St. Charles, MO.
Themes + Projects Gallerey, San Francisco, CA.